California Victim Compensation Board
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT POSTING
- ACCOUNTANT TRAINEE
Final Filing Date: 3/28/2017
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
It is an objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free work place. Any applicant for state employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing Civil Service, and the special trust placed in public servants.
Job Control Details
|Job Code #:
|# of Positions:
||Permanent, Full Time
||8:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m.
||Monday through Friday
The California Victim Compensation Board's (CalVCB) mission is to assure the rights of California victims of crime by providing responsive financial compensation through a stable Restitution Fund. The CalVCB is a special funded department under the direction of the Government Operations Agency. If your goal is to make a difference in a small, compassionate agency, this is the job for you. We value diversity and inclusion, facilitate and support employee recognition, and actively promote career development. If you are interested in becoming part of a diverse workforce where you have a sense of accomplishment and purpose, the CalVCB invites you to apply for this employment opportunity
Department Website: https://www.victims.ca.gov
Under general supervision of the Accounting Administrator Supervisor I, the Accountant Trainee (AT) will, in a learning and training capacity, perform a full range of accounting duties of average difficulty including, but not limited to, the following: accounts payable, maintenance of accounting records, and the preparation of financial reports.
Assist, in a training capacity, in all aspects of the accounts payable process, including but not limited to the following:
- Prepare vendor invoices for payment, travel advances, regional transit, expense claims, and direct transfers.
- Post approved invoices into the accounting system for payment.
- Research electronic and manual overpayments or duplicate warrants when applicable.
- Maintain accurate tracking logs using excel spreadsheets for all invoices processed and paid.
- Analyze, verify, and reconcile postings to source documents and other available reports.
- Prepare, review, and analyze financial reports, statements, accounts, and records.
- Verify expenditures do not exceed fiscal year allotments.
- In a training capacity, learn to process check traces, pull State Controller’s Office warrant requests, stop payments, research stale dated warrant issues, and requests replacement/damaged check requests when applicable.
- In a training capacity, learn to research requests in databases, retrieves files, and make copies. Required to apply applicable policies and procedures in accordance with SAM, UCM, Government Code, and GAAP.
Other duties as assigned to meet sections critical needs of operation.
- Attend regular team meetings.
- Special projects as required.
Dates printed on Mobile Bar Codes, such as the Quick Response (QR) Codes available at the USPS, are not considered Postmark dates for the purpose of determining timely filing of an application.
Final Filing Date: 3/28/2017
Who May Apply
Individuals who are currently in the classification, eligible for lateral transfer, eligible for reinstatement, eligible for a Training and Development assignment, have SROA and/or Surplus eligibility, or have list eligibility (or are in the process of obtaining list eligibility). SROA and Surplus candidates may attach “surplus letters” to their applications.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected for an interview.
How To Apply
Completed Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents must be submitted to apply for this Job Posting. A completed copy of the Application Package listing must be included, when submitting your application in hard copy.
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations for the hiring interview process must request the necessary accommodations if scheduled for a hiring interview. The request should be made at the time of contact to schedule the interview. Questions regarding reasonable accommodations may be directed to the EEO contact listed on this job posting.
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
California Victim Compensation Board
Attn: Human Resources - Accountant Trainee
P.O. Box 48
Required Application Documents
Please submit the following items with your application.
Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678.
All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Resume is optional. It may be included, but is not required.
- Degree and/or School Transcripts
In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
We are looking for a sharp, self-starter to assist claimants through a careful and thorough dental benefit review process. In addition to evaluating each candidate’s ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate. A desirable applicant should possess a general knowledge of:
- Ability to provide great customer service to internal and external customers.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with co-workers and management.
- Ability to follow directions from their lead, supervisor and/or manager.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to pay attention to procedural detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Flexible and adaptable to change.
- Ability to work under time constraints and meet deadlines.
- Ability to perform completed staff work.
Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, paid holidays and other types of leave, comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefits with a variety of choices, and CalPERS retirement options (the nation’s largest public pension plan). For more details about employee benefits, visit the California Department of Human Resources website.
We are located in downtown Sacramento just a short walking distance from restaurants, coffee shops, the Sacramento River levee bike trail and the State Capital. We are close to Highway 50 and Interstate 5; have a conveniently located parking garage that also accommodates bicycles; and, offer discounted public transportation options.